Unit 1 - Overview and Norms
This unit is designed to lay the foundation for collaboration, documentation, and engineering skills and habits of mind for the entire year. You will be introduced to the fields and practice of engineering, the need for collaboration and classroom norms, and the need for thorough and comprehensive documentation.
Students will demonstrate basic understanding of the work engineers do and how they collaborate in groups, by:
- Identifying things that engineers have affected.
- Learning about the major branches of engineering and the state of diversity in engineering.
- Working with the teachers to establish the norms (rules) by which they will abide.
- Identifying personality types and use these to explain the successes and challenges of working in teams.
- Explaining how various types of documentation (e.g., visual information, text-based instructions, statements of purpose and requirements) contribute to a complete understanding of a project.
- Experiencing design without a design process.
- Generating a list of important components of an engineering notebook.